Wednesday 30 April 2014

Wednesday 30th April

Cycling destination of Crocketford gave opportunity to revisit Glenkilns to check possible merlin. Did see a brown bird of prey fly to top of pine tree, where another bird attempted to mate with it! Could not get good view before it moved on but I did not think it was a merlin - too big and brown. Possibly a sparrowhawk. More exciting was however to hear and then see a cuckoo singing similarly atop a pine tree just east of Craigadam Woodlands - a first! Initially sighting was not clear but on moving to get better view it was not startled and some of the chest colouration could be seen. Also a couple of wheatear as well as usual fleeting pipits (presumably) and a stonechat or reed bunting in flight. Close up view of one wheatear on wall that appeared to have some yellow in its chest.

I tried to think if I ever saw a cuckoo when I was a kid in Nottinghamshire.  I certainly heard them but I don't think I ever saw one.

No comments:

Post a Comment