Thursday 16 February 2017

16th February

Signs of spring approaching already on yesterday's bike ride.  Heading for Crocketford via Troston, there was some definite warmth in the hazy sunshine, so much so I nearly took my gloves off. A nice run to Troston itself with some lovely scenery but, on a tight schedule, I held off taking photos until the murk resumed. Mistake!

Still a lovely day and a couple of blue tits were showing a bit of interest in each other, plus quite a few tits and finches playing around the trees and the odd meadow pipit on the moorland.

But the best sighting was a resplendent male stonechat on a hedgerow near Drumcoltran Tower, already looking his best and almost as bright as a bullfinch.  I was hoping to see a few yellowhammer in the area, but no joy - just a few tufted ducks on Loch Milton.

Tufted Ducks (male and female)
Then today I actually did see a bullfinch quite close up in the trees on the brae near home.  I went home for my camera but of course he moved on before I got back.

No comments:

Post a Comment