Sunday 23 September 2018

Sunday 23rd September

Painted lady
It's that time of year again.  Summer has gone but it's a little soon for the winter visitors.  What has pleased me most over the past couple of weeks was the arrival of a painted lady on the diminutive sprig of buddleia I imported from Dumfries in March, when I scarcely believed it would flourish at all.  Before it finally gave up the ghost a few days back it was also visited briefly  by a small tortoiseshell, so that all four common nymphalidae have appeared on it and I view that as quite an achievement.

There should be a good deal of buddleia around by next September.

Deer?
Apart from that it has been bits and bobs, a red admiral here and there and a continuing abundance of speckled wood including one in quite low temperatures today.  I did do a visit to the bird hide at Gibside and saw more or less what you'd expect to see around feeders - tits, nuthatch, woodpecker and grey squirrel.

This animal did however give me a bit of a scare when I saw it out of the corner of my eye.  It must have been because the antlers are real.

No comments:

Post a Comment