Thursday 24 October 2013

Thursday 24th October

Took advantage of a break in the rain to get in a fishing trip to Bruce's Acre but it proved hard going, perhaps due to colder temeratures and increased brightness. Some splendid prawns did nothing on the feeder and I could only get annoying touches on the pole.  In fact I nearly blanked but things did change once the sun went behind the trees.  After and before missing several bites on meat, I managed to foul hook a beautifully green-coloured barbel with ruddy fins that weighed all of 1.5lbs but size somehow didn't matter and I felt quite jubilant.  This was on an old groat left over in some frozen hemp.  As the only other fish I hooked - another barbel judging by its strong run - got off, the one further highlight of the day was that a merlin flew over the waters.

That is to say it was a merlin if I got it right as it wasn't hanging around for an identity parade, but I know sparrowhawks and kestrels well enough to be confident.  The only area of doubt was that I perceived it to have a pale rump, but it may be I was seeing the side of its underbody as it flashed through the air.  So that was a birdwatching first even if the brevity made it hard to get unduly excited.

Most other anglers seemed to struggle on the day.  On reflection it was a day for smaller baits and finer tackle, so my approach was too crude.  But I had a strong feeling that the presence of groats in the swim attracted barbel.  The other learning point was that I must face up to the fact that I need to try much larger hooks when fishing meat.  The meat was working in the last couple of hours but the bites were lightning fast and the hook always came back bare.

No comments:

Post a Comment