Tuesday 27 January 2015

Tuesday 27th January

Bad weather has restricted activities for the past couple of weeks, so I decided to get out for a walk on the basis of a better forecast today.  I haven't been out walking much lately and I think the reason was that I don't really have much in the way of birdwatching targets.  One bird I would like however to see during the remainder of my stay in Dumfries and Galloway - however long that may be - is the goshawk.

The path by Kennick Burn
So I plan to target a few forest areas on the run-in to Spring when they are most active, starting today with Laurieston Forest.  As it happened I hardly saw anything at all in dark and drizzly conditions, just a couple more low perching buzzards on the way, and a kite hovering on the way back. The only clear sighting on the walk itself were some male bullfinches, as is common for this time of year when I think they move in to feed on young tree buds.

Still the walk back by the Kennick Burn was pleasant and a lady jogger reported seeing a snipe further up the hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment