Monday 25 September 2017

Holiday am Bodensee (concluded)

The ride from Konstanz to Friedrichshafen was quite productive.  There was some nice maple trees near the Insel Mainau (which I didn't visit this time) and an assortment of squirrels, some very red and one in particular with an acorn between its paws. The bird selection was about the same but there was another mystifying pipit type bird I couldn't identify on the way to Wallhausen.  The mystery pipit phenomenon happened at least three times during the week and on each occasion the culprit escaped promptly, suspending any attempts at identification.

After a serene crossing to Uberlingen, I was immediately impressed by the place and in particular by the town gardens, where the bright flowers and the cacti really caught my eye - and I'm not generally the sort of person to go overboard about formal gardens.

The cacti at Uberlingen
At the Pfahlbauten Museum at Unteruhldingen there was a large shoal of small perch, clearly visible in the clear water, plus a couple of cruising carp and a grebe you could watch diving to the bottom to pick up weed.

The last day of the holiday was in one way the best in that it was the only day I actually made a couple of totally new sightings.  

The first was going through the Eriskircher Ried, which seemed to have much more going on than the other wetlands I visited and seems to be a hot spot for orioles.  I noticed a lot of squawking coming from some deciduous trees and after some difficulty got a brief but definite view of a woodpecker that looked 'different'.  I'm pretty sure it was a grey woodpecker and my suspicion was substantiated by an old chap I bumped into who confirmed they are in the area.  

I also got a view of one of the many hyperactive nuthatches and concluded they are slightly more slimly built that the UK variety and have a thinner headstripe, or so I thought.  There was also a good view through the binoculars of a jay carrying an acorn it its beak.  At first sight I thought it might have been a bird of prey but these remained few and far between barring the odd red kite... except for one buzzard I briefly observed overhead.

Mediterranean Gulls
Then right at the end of day I stopped at Lochau on the way back to Bregenz, finding a seat at a pleasant looking estuary.  There were a few birds about but notably some small gulls that flew up the estuary to pick bits of weed from the surface of the stream.  I don't normally have much regard for gulls but these seemed more dove-like apart from some minor bits of squabbling.  I was able to identify them as mediterranean gulls.  In German they are known as Lachmowe which, interestingly, gets translated on internet dictionaries as black-headed gull.  It's only by crosschecking the latin names that you can clearly see that this is an error.

But in a way the star bird performance happened slightly earlier when I was resting at Lindau and a cheeky sparrow took a fancy to my plum tart.  I enticed it onto the table but couldn't persuade it to eat from my hand.


Cheeky sparrow
It was a nice note for the last day of a holiday.

After my arrival home I was pleased to note that a red admiral landed on the last remaining sprig of buddleia on 21st September, the latest I have yet achieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment