Monday 6 August 2018

Monday 6th August

By contrast this week has been fairly quiet.

Yesterday evening I made a trip out to Waldridge Fell in search of the purple hairstreak, which has been sighted there a few times recently.  I did manage to find a good number of oak trees but did not see the butterfly. I found some consolation in my first sighting of the wall brown butterfly this year, basking on a bit of open grassland - plus a couple of meadow browns and the inevitable whites and speckled woods.

There was however a moment of humour later when I headed down a woodland path and saw what I took to be a small brown dog trotting towards me.  Its ears seemed to be getting larger as it approached when it suddenly stopped still to eye me over, metamorphosed into a hare and trotted off casually in the opposite direction.

Otherwise it has been bits and pieces - a red admiral flying over the tennis court or a hayfield and a peacock on a quick walk along the river at Prudhoe.
Peacock

However the main sense of success of the week also came yesterday.  One sprig of buddleia I brought over from Dumfries unexpectedly survived the harsh Spring weather and has produced a single, long flower.  As I arrived home around lunchtime there was a red admiral on it, which I disturbed in passing.  I went into the house to fetch the camera and there was a peacock hanging on it upside down instead.

A satisfying moment...

No comments:

Post a Comment