Saturday 28 July 2018

Friday 27th July

Vapourer Caterpillar
An interesting few days...

In the garden the hoped-for return of the marsh tit has not materialised.  On investigation of the sudden decline of one of my pot plants I was however able to identify the culprit as a rather pretty caterpillar.  I reckon it to be the caterpillar of the vapourer moth, one of the more spectacular varieties.

I think that if I'd photographed it from the side, there would be more red spots visible on its leg hairs.  It has certainly vapourised a large part of the plant in question.

Dry weather has continued but I had to wait until Wednesday before attempting the Big Butterfly Count.

I put in a couple of sessions at the Spetchells and apart from very many small whites, there was a good head of speckled wood, several meadow brown, a sprinking of small heath and ringlets, four green-veined white, two common blue and a single small copper.

On the other hand dingy skipper did not appear and one other suspected skipper could not be identified. On the way there were a few large white by the river but they didn't show on the hills.

On Thursday I did a long walk in Derwentside Park with a friend, when there were scores of speckled wood and a dozen or so meadow brown.  The two most interesting things we saw though were a male bullfinch close up in the undergrowth and a comma puddling where some dogs had been going in and out of the river.  We were also struck by the number of wild cherry trees.
Meadow Brown
Comma
Today I went on a U3A walk at Watergate Forest Park, Lobley Hill, just as the forecast thundery weather started to move in. Again speckled wood and meadow brown were very prominent but the star siting was a couple of holly blues we saw shambling along the hedgerows. One stopped long enough to enable a couple of us to make a positive identification, and then disappeared. There was also a grasshopper - possibly meadow grasshopper?

I did this time catch up with a few small skippers and also a shaded broad bar moth - or so I gather.
Small Skipper
Shaded Broad Bar Moth

No comments:

Post a Comment