Tuesday 23 March 2021

Tuesday 23rd March

The day after I last posted Mr Nuthatch was again paying fleeting visits to the bird table and I managed to provide the proof.

Nuthatch

With the weather brightening I decided to take a bike ride to Prestwick Carr the following Friday, braving a strong westerly wind in the hope of seeing the short-eared owl again.  When I arrived, the feeders by the viweing platform had been filled (apparently someone called Albert fills them) and so it was a cinch to catch up with the willow tits that use it.  Long-tailed tit and reed bunting were also about as well as the more common tits.

Willow Tit
Long-tailed Tit and Willow Tit
I rode up and down the track looking about and tried to stick it out on the platform for a while but it was very exposed to the breeze so I gave in after an hour and rode back home.

This weekend I did a slow walk around the bridle path towards Rowlands Gill, when it was again apparent that there is more birdsong there than in Chopwell Woods.  Seeing them was another thing as they were mostly high in the the treetops.  In the end I saw pretty much  what you'd expect to see - coal tit, blue tit, long-tailed tit and red kite.  Low flying red kites over the various villages have been a pretty much daily occurence locally.

More of a surprise came yesterday as I rode to Gateshead to buy fishing tackle.  Just past the Swalwell roundabout in a temperature of about 10C a butterfly flew up.  From the brief view of its underside I thought it was a peacock.  As I was half thinking I wouldnt see a butterfly before the end of March this year, I was duly pleased.

Several times I thought I had heard a greenfinch at the back of the garden and elsewhere but I haven't managed to see one.


No comments:

Post a Comment