Monday 22 July 2024

Slovenia Day 6

On an early morning walk I got an interesting shot of a green-veined white, looking rather darker than its British counterpart.

Green-veined White

We also got a brief sighting of a grey-headed woodpecker, a species I thought I had seen when I cycled round Lake Constance but hadn't totally convinced myself I'd got it right.

But mainly this was the day we took a long ride over 25 hairpin bends and past many cyclists to find a mountaintop site very close to the Italian border.

Unfortunately the top of the mountain was shrouded in misty cloud and we had to wait for brief outbursts of sunshine to get any butterfly action.

However it did produce a couple of specialities, notably in the form of an asian fritillary that settled down for a good while and a mountain small white.

Asian Fritillary



Mountain Small White

There were more ringlets turning up from time to time but so fleetingly I typically did not get a decent shot of them though I didn't think they were scotch argus.  Otherwise there was another mazarine blue.

Eventually we moved on and tried in vain to find a sunny spot further down the mountain. 

However someone had the idea of trying a small wetland near the hotel before our evening meal and this paid off nicely when amongst others we came across two more new species in the shape of Nickerl's fritillary and lesser marbled fritillary.

Nickerl's Fritillary
Lesser Marbled Fritillary

There were more good views of a purple shot copper and a bonus moth - a gold spangle apparently.

Gold Spangle

Apart from the moth, the asian fritillary and - somewhat to my surprise - the mountain small white were first-time sightings for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment