I did a couple of trips this week as meteorological summer came to an end.
On Bank Holiday Monday I revisited Wallington Hall Walled Garden and made an early common sighting - a common darter. More interesting however was one of those bumblebees that just doesn't look right and was eventually confirmed as a field cuckoo bee. It was also nice to catch up with a red-tailed bumblebee worker as one hasn't appeared for a while when I've been out.
 |
| Field Cuckoo Bee |
 | | Common Darter |
|  | | Red-tailed Bumblebee |
|
There wasn't quite as much around as last year, when the weather was noticeably better.
However, I did take the opportunity to check for ivy bees at Wylam Bridge on the way home. At first sight it seemed quiet but on checking it became clear that they were there in force, probably over 100.
 |
| Ivy Bees |
They were all males apparently so probably hadn't been out long.
On Friday, I was on a bee walk at Allenheads where heavy winds emphasised the change in the seasons though it at least remained reasonably warm. Here we saw over ten broken-belted bumblebees but my understanding of the species was rather shattered by the information that they don't always have an interruption to the upper yellow band on the abdomen. Otherwise bee sightings were restricted to white-tailed bumblebees plus one buff-tailed bumblebee and several common carder bees (rather than the moss carder bee we'd hoped for).
There were also a coupe of sightings of the fox moth caterpillar and isolated butterflies including a single, very small common blue.
 | | Broken-belted Bumblebee |
|  | | Fox Moth caterpillar |
|
Perhaps more exciting was that we (rather than I) discovered a couple of flowers that are known to be rare. These were the autumn gentian and the grass of parnassus.
 | | Autumn Gentian |
|  | | Grass of Parnassus |
|
It seems the latter is a Cumbrian emblem.
Meanwhile it has been business as usual in the garden but still with one or two surprises.
I found an interesting fly I am provisionally guessing to be tetanocera ferruginae (common buff snailkiller) and the hornet mimic hoverfly has turned up again on two successive days.
 | | Tetanocera Ferruginae |
|  | | Hornet Mimic Hoverfly |
|
Then frustratingly yesterday I encountered a large, dark bumblebee but just could not get a decent shot of it. From observation I think it might be a tree bumblebee queen.
 |
| Tree Bumblebee Queen? |
Maybe another day...
No comments:
Post a Comment