Friday 17 June 2011

17th June

By today the weather was really closing in so the result was a short morning walk in Dunwich Forest before heading home.  I might have heard a green woodpecker, but once again, the woodland birds were simply not coming out to play, apart from the several magpies that are everywhere.  A brief dartford warbler suspect moved on too quickly to be verified through binoculars.  But I did see three male red deer cross my path, already showing impressive antlers.  On a last circuit looking for a mystery bird hide shown on the displayed map, a volley of tits passed my way including at least one marsh/willow tit - the habitat would suggest marsh tit but I can't tell the difference with any confidence.

So the woodland exotics - green woodpecker, tree pipit and nightingale will need to be left for another day and only the first two will be possible locally.  In a way it's good to know there's still something to aim for near where I live, which is why not seeing sedge warbler or egret didn't concern me much. But I really wanted that woodpecker...

No comments:

Post a Comment