Friday 14 October 2011

Thursday 14th October

By contrast, everyone else at Brooms was catching nicely on feeder today but I had a poor time on the pole, ending up with two commons, one of which was albeit a good size fish - and a gudgeon!

It was probably my own fault.  I think I picked the wrong swim on the west bank, thinking the SE wind would bring fish my way.  It was a swim where I've caught well before, but earlier in the year.  As well as missing lightning bites, I hooked and lost several fish and, in retrospect should maybe have changed to a larger hook size of a more normal pattern. Worm was only attacked by smaller fish (accounting for the gudgeon) so I decided to go on the swingtip in the middle of the session and got a frustrating series of touches and pulls, and two lifts that almost had the swingtip horizontal before fading into nothing.

Back on the pole at dusk I tried pellet briefly but got more lightning bites I couldn't hit. On the last cast with a decent size lobworm, I struck into a good fish that came off after a few seconds.

Easy to think that I got this wrong, but even so I could have had seven or eight fish on the bank rather than just three.

No comments:

Post a Comment