Wednesday 15 July 2015

Wednesday 15th July

My knowledge of trees is pretty poor and I've been meaning to do something about it for some time.

So by way of a change, I took my Book of Trees along on today's bike ride (via Milton, Kirkgunzeon, Loch Arthur, New Abbey, Kirkconnel Flow) and set about identifying some of the broadleafs.  Thus I
Alder Leaf?
now know there are a lot of ash trees north of Kirkgunzeon and generally, plus a lot of oaks, hazels, sycamores and holly trees on the road past Kirkconnel Flow.

One tree near the cycle track in the town has confused me a bit.  I think it was an alder from the trunk and size but the leaves did not match the pictures in my book very well.

Of course there were also some goldfinches, a few yellowhammers near Kirkgunzeon and several ringlet butterflies. On the wilder bit of the run to New Abbey, there were also a couple of stonechats grinding away.  I haven't seen them there before.

A pleasant change from some of the frantic riding I've been doing. Who knows, maybe I will finally show some interest in wild flowers one day as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment