Saturday 4 July 2015

Saturday 4th July

Yesterday I decided to confront the apparent shortage of butterflies by cycling to the Mabie Forest butterfly walk in forecast sunny conditions.

The results were inconclusive as the sun proved intermittent.  There were certainly butterflies around, but not in the same numbers I would have expected on a really hot day.  There were a large number of big fritillaries flying strongly over the path and bracken.  From a past visit, I was confident they were dark green fritillaries but none would settle until I was on the point of leaving, when I was able to make a positive identification.
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary

I reckon I sighted 20 - 30 dark greens, making it the second most common butterfly on the reserve after the ever present ringlet.  Once again tangled with the issue of distinguishing small pearl-bordered fritillary from pearl-bordered, but the one I photographed is clearly a small as you might expect. Also present were usual suspects small heath, common blue, meadow brown and red admiral (first three this year).

As ever at Mabie did not for some reason notice much bird life apart from a jay but there were one or two moths around. From my limited knowledge, they may have been transparent burnet, carpet moth and one samll black and white effort I didn't get a good look at.




No comments:

Post a Comment