Tuesday 1 December 2015

Tuesday 1st December

Oh dear! New volutary work responsibilities mean I've had a busy fortnight and little time to report on nature events. Not sure if I'll get out anywhere tomorrow so best to catch up now.

Finally I did manage to see some redwings in a field South of Bogrie Moor last Wednesday.  Some were actually sitting nicely in a tree right by the roadside but understandably took fright as I approached in my fluorescent yellow cycling jacket. There must have been about 50 in the field but too far away to get a decent photo on my camera.

Spent a lot of the ride to Dalry trying to keep pace with a member of Dumfries Cycling Club, but did get a good few of some hovering kites on the Crocketford Road a bit before Bogle Bridge. Some long-tailed tits were passing through the trees at some point but I really can't remember when. I did see a good few more today though, when picking up some shopping at the local Halford's.

Spot the parakeet
Dificulty level = moderate
The week before the Brussels attacks I was there, visiting the European Parliament with Amnesty Scotland This was not a very nature-friendly environment but I did manage to sneak off to the Jubelpark to see if the ring-necked parakeets were still as much in evidence as on my last visit 18 months ago.

As soon as I entered the park a familiar screeching sound proved my odds-on suspicion to be correct and they were all over the place, though much more easily heard than seen as I discovered when trying to get this picture (left).

There has been at least one sighting of a ring-necked parakeet in Dumfries and Galloway, with some discussion as to whether they are a welcome arrival or not. Personally I like them.

Previously I think I may have referred to them erroneously as green parakeet.

No comments:

Post a Comment