Tuesday 29 December 2015

Tuesday 29th December

On Sunday in post-Christmas recovery mode, went for longish bike ride from Lochmaben to Sibbaldbie, but saw basically nothing.  In any case I left the binoculars at home so wouldn't have been able to identify much.

Just on the way back into Lochmaben at the very end of the ride, there was a very large flock of geese that had settled on a farm field. With the naked eye, I reckoned they were greylag geese but they were too far off to identify positively or check for interlopers with out the glasses.

On Monday I had a rather better day walking along the paddy line westwards from Mossvale.  There was a jay clearly visible from the car on the back road to Laurieston, and the inevitable flotation of red kites, holding steady in the considerable wind.  I got a close-up view of one of them hovering just by the village as the walk got underway.

Long-tailed tit
I found a new path from the old railway that led down to the Black Water of Dee, always one of my favourite-looking small rivers. In the railway cutting beyond the bridge, a volley of long-tailed tits were working their way through the trees and I was able to follow them for a hundred yards or so, trying to take photos as they became slightly less tame. Also spotted a treecreeper at one point.

But the real purpose of the visit was to suss out the moorland at the end of Loch Stroan for any birds of prey, in particular hen harriers, as this is where Tony reckons he regularly sees them.  I found myself a nice perch on a collapsing drystone dyke and hung around for a while, but the sum total of widelife observed was a solitary meadow pipit and a skulking roe deer. I don't nkow if it's something I've been doing wrong, but this area hasn't proved productive for birds of prey over a number of visits. At times I have the distinct impression there is less wildlife around than there used to be.

Although I continued the walk back past Mossvale Loch, nothing more was sighted. Dropped in briefly at Kingholm Park as a short-eared owl has been seen there.

Black Water of Dee

Another view



No comments:

Post a Comment