Sunday 28 August 2016

Sunday 28th August

As I am becoming more mobile, I decided on a late summer walk at Caerlaverock Nature Reserve, which was short enough for me to manage with the aid of one crutch.

I was hoping to see some butterflies, possibly some blues but it wasn't to be.  In spite of reasonable
Common Darter
sunshine, the only ones on the wing were whites, predominantly large whites.  The scotch argus mentioned on a noticeboard did not appear either.

There were however a number of brown dragonflies around and one much larger one that passed through quickly. Here's a picture of one of the small ones - a common darter, I believe.

On the way back to the car park spotted a willow warbler and a very small lizard that ran across the path and down a hole before I could get a decent look at it.

Perhaps the almost total lack of any meadow flowers in the area will have accounted for the lack of butterflies.


1 comment:

  1. Forgot to add that there was another painted lady on the buddleia in my garden a couple of days ago. And today there are two...

    ReplyDelete