Saturday 29 October 2016

Saturday 29th October

In view of continuing convalescence, decided to take on the hills and do the bike run to Castle Douglas on Wednesday.

On setting out, a large flock of barnacle geese overflew the estate.  Just before Lochfoot, I was surprised to see there were several flowers still in bloom - cornflowers, purple clover and some sort of tall daisy. Unsure of  my timetable I didn't hang around to investigate further.
Spottes Burn

Stopped by the Spottes Burn in Haugh of Urr to recover from consistent headwind.  I've often thought this looks like an attractive little stream for fishing but have never seen any fish in it - even though it flows into the River Urr, which definitely holds fish.

This reminds me that I haven't been fishing for ages.  Somehow I just can't get the taste for it and have decided not to force myself to try before the urge comes back.

On the way back there was a nice view of a red kite, one large and one small buzzard, plus the almost inevitable goldfinches.

Meanwhile the sunflower in the garden has passed away without attracting a goldfinch but the coal tits are still busy taking seeds from the bird table as if it was a major industry.  Someone told me that sunflower hearts are better for goldfinches so will give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment