Monday 31 October 2016

Sunday 30th October

Took my first nature walk for a long time and chose to go around the Threave Castle area.

On the way to the Stepping Stones hide I saw the first goldcrest for a very long time.  It hung around obligingly but I could not get a camera shot that showed it up amongst the tree foliage.  At the hide there was a score of corbids sitting on an island in the middle of the river, presumably rooks.  One or two were stockier than the others and I wondered if they could be ravens.  In any case I have never seen either bird behave in this fashion before.
Whooper Swans

Then three whooper swans flew up the river, not quite fully mature as they still had bits of grey on them.

In the trees just before the castle on the far side, there was a flock of birds foraging.  I had a quick check to see if they were all blackbirds and indeed thought I saw several redwing, though the
Fieldfares and a couple of blackbirds
photo I took shows clearly they were fieldfares.

There were a lot of them in the woodland near the other two hides, but they weren't offering more than the most cursory sighting.  From the upper hide, I saw a tree creeper but not much else and from the lower just a couple of roe deer and a pair of birds in the reed grasses I could not identify. They were behaving like whinchats and flicking their tails but surely it was too late in the season for them.

The weather was still very mild and lots of flies on the wing. Ducks and geese were not to be seen but apparently there have been some pink-footed geese very recently.


No comments:

Post a Comment