Tuesday 19 June 2018

Tuesday 19th June

Speckled Wood
A brown butterfly finally turned up in the garden.  I got a distance shot of it with wings closed and reckoned it was probably the by now frequently sighted speckled wood, an impression deepened when one turned up and displayed on the garden furniture (left).

Blue tits must have fledged very well this year as they are turning up in groups on the feeders, distinctive in their light yellow plumage and as yet light head markings. Remarkably, this seems to have lessened the visits of the greedy jackdaws.



Yesterday I went on an extended walk in Chopwell Woods, when the speckled wood was again much in evidence and I reckoned I saw 15 - 20 over the 3.5 hour period.  I also got good views of a jay and a buzzard, as well as saw a small number of spotted orchids and,
Comma
somewhat to my surprise, what turned out to be a mayfly.

But the best was saved for near the end when I saw this comma butterfly warming itself on a stone, certainly the first one that I've seen since I was a boy.  They had been reported at Mabie Forest but I never managed to see one on my visits there.  I knew they were more common in North East England as people I have met  reported seeing them in their gardens - but a personal landmark nevertheless. I was pleased I waited for the sun to come out again when it disappeared for a while.

Meanwhile the bumblebee of the week has definitely been the tree bumblebee, which has been turning up in the garden in some numbers though the photo is also of one I found in Chopwell Woods as it at least managed to stay still for a while.
Mayfly
Tree Bumblebee

No comments:

Post a Comment