Monday 11 June 2018

Monday 11th June

Female nuthatch
Of course the day after I complained about the jackdaws yobbish behaviour putting off other birds, a nuthatch turned up on the peanut feeder for the first time, a female.  It hasn't stopped me cutting down on the bird food over the past couple of days, though partly because I've been out most of the time.

I did a bike ride along cycle track 10 to Stamfordham and enjoyed the flatter landscape in the area.  There were some flowers just past Seaton Burn that I at first thought were orchids and haven't managed to identify, again lots of skylarks singing and most pleasingly a male redstart that appeared in some oaks just west of Stamfordham. Plus some sort of maple I wasn't totally sure about.

I held off reporting this as I knew that the Prudhoe U3A Nature Watch trip to Hawthorn Dene near Easington was coming off today, a venue that is known to be rich in wildlife because of the magnesian limestone geology (dolomite).

This inevitably lead to a profundity of less common flowers being seen and frankly I really did find it more or less impossible to keep up with the sightings.  We certainly saw some bee orchids and some mouse-ear hawkweed but eventually all the new names just swamped me. I stuck to what I know more - butterflies and birds.

And there was indeed a fair bit to occupy the attention in those areas.  Having not yet seen a blue this year, it was pleasing to see at least twenty common blues at different times and get a decent picture.  I saw my first small heath of the year and managed to get a picture of a dingy skipper (though it was very dingy) as well as a chimney sweeper moth.  I don't think I've seen as much flower meadow in one place for a long time.

Common blue
Chimney sweeper
Dingy dingy skipper
Ogling female kestrel
We did actually manage to get a glimpse of a skylark and an excellent view of a female kestrel, which some people thought was eyeing us up so it could move in to hunt in the same area once we passed on.  I was particularly pleased to see a whitethroat passing through.  There were also sand martins, a few swallows and pipits, a fulmar and a reed bunting.

The general consensus was the area will produce even more sightings in a couple of weeks in view of the delayed summer.

Maybe I will return.

1 comment:

  1. Here's the full list of plants seen at Hawthorn Dene, as noted by the Prudhoe U3A Naturewatch group:

    "There were hundreds of common spotted orchids as well as early purple orchid, bee orchids, fragrant orchids and scores of common twayblade. Vivid magenta bloody cranesbills and yellow dyers greenweed and birds foot trefoil competed for our attention and in places there were lots of salad burnet, kidney vetch, carnation sedge, deep blue milkwort, ox eye daisies, yellow rattle, yellow vetchling, clovers and mouse-eared hawkweed. Less obvious were species such as fairy flax, carline thistle, solomon's seal and we found hemp agrimony, marjoram, tansy, and nettle-leaved bellflower not yet in flower. There was plenty of vipers bugloss (not yet in flower) on the beach..."

    You can see why I was baffled!

    ReplyDelete