Wednesday 17 July 2019

Wednesday 17th July

I did a bit of a double hit on Monday, taking advantage of a nice warm day when only a visit to the dentist was scheduled.

Cycling slowly down cycle track 14, I kept a look out for places where there might be butterflies.  At first all I encountered was a grey wagtail and a few speckled wood.  Then right at the bottom end of the Derwent just west of the confluence of the Tyne (and very near the edge of the industrial estate) I found a flower meadow.

Here the results were very similar to those encountered at Blaydon just over a week previously - plenty of meadow brown and small skippers, several burnet moths and common blues and a few ringlet. I had a suspicion that one or two of the skippers might be large skippers but the suspect I checked was a small.

On the way back I saw a female roe deer with two foals drinking at the riverside.  They had a very reddish look and at first I thought they were red deer.  Research however shows that there are no red deer in the area.

The session was nicely capped off when I got off the bike at home to see a small tortoiseshell on the wee buddleia in the front garden.  There were three more sightings later on in the day.

Small Tortoiseshell

In the evening, I decided to go to Waldridge Fell in search of purple hairstreaks, my current number one target.  I did see three seperate willow warblers and after a longish period of staring at various oak trees, of which there are many, I did on four occasions see some buitterflies circling the oak crowns.

Unfortunately they were all speckled woods!

No comments:

Post a Comment