Monday 4 May 2020

Monday 4th May

One of the features of my activities is sudden and often fleeting surprises. Sometimes it's not so much the sighting as the location of the sighting that defines the surprise.

So it was no surprise to catch sight of a jay on a recent bike ride through the North end of Chopwell Woods last week but I was considerably surprised when one landed on the patio corner unit earlier this week.  In fact it was the closest view of a jay I've ever managed.

I also wouldn't be surprised to spot a marsh tit in certain locations but it certainly did surprise me when one turned up in the hedgerow of the Hadrian's Cycleway right where it passes by Leamington Centre last Friday. A good amount of mature woodland in Denton Burn nearby offered some explanation.

What they had in common was that neither hung around to pose for a photo.

Overall the good weather started to break about a week ago and butterfly sightings have become scarce, just the odd peacock, speckled wood and orange tip plus a couple of green-veined whites. Last Saturday I made the first positive sighting of a female orange tip on the garlic mustard in my garden.  On the whole the whites are still performing flypasts without coming in to land, unlike most aircraft which are doing the opposite.

This Wednesday the rains finally moved in bringing a drop in temperature and I decided to indulge in a bit of flower spotting on my last visit to the Woods before it hit. It had caught my eye that most of the things I was seeing were white.  I'm not strong on wild flowers but managed to identify the following as wood sorrel, wood ruff and (I hope I've got this right) greater stitchwort.

Riding back home from Swalwell along the old railway on Friday, I suddenly picked up a whiff of garlic and so was able to add that to the gallery as well.
Wood Sorrel
Wood Ruff
Greater Stitchwort
Wild Garlic

No comments:

Post a Comment