Saturday 6 June 2020

Friday 6th June

I'm not really wanting to start each post with a review of what happened in the last post but there were again a couple of flowers I didn't manage to identify last time as below:
Self Heal
Red Campion
Can't believe I didn't spot the campion. Meanwhile it does appear from internet research that there is some evidence of dwarfism in butterflies. A study on a species in Queensland showed considerable size reductions after heavy rains in 2011 and was ascribed to malnutrition.  So maybe the item I saw last time really was a minute speckled wood. It did rain quite a lot in February.

Bird visits to the garden have been on the increase.  I was particularly pleased to see a chiffchaff (presumably, since that's what I hear nearly every day) visit the bird bath, now more visible following the collapse of a small tree that obscured it. Lady Woodpecker has come to the nuts quite frequently although not staying for long. And it is once again the feeding season for baby blue tits.  I've seen as many as three demanding food from the same parent.

Bullfinch
Unfortunately there has also been an unwelcome increase in visits from the Rat family, so I somewhat reluctantly decided to cut down the carpet of garlic mustard that they sneak around in and block up all the likely entry holes into the garden. This has understandably resulted in a decrease in visits from orange tip and green-veined white butterflies. The compensation was that a pair of bullfinches turned up to pick the seeds from the remaining few plants.  And garlic mustard was nearly finished anyway.

Incidentally there was quite an interesting confrontation between a member of the Rat family and the Bad Jackdaw gang who had encircled it.  After mutual threatening gestures, the rat finally made off when a magpie decided to intervene too.

The main trip I went on last Thursday was another walk in the Spetchells with Malcolm to see if we could track down the ashy mining bee. The buffish mining bee was still around though not in the same numbers as last month and I wasn't at all surprised that there were a few red-tailed bumblebees around.

I had for a while been aware of the cuckoo mining bee but had tended to dismiss the stripey insects I've seen at Spetchells as hoverflies... until on this occasion several were sighted disappearing down various mining bee holes. Unfortunately they did this rather too quickly for me to get a snapshot but we did finally manage to catch up with a male mining bee.  It was tiny and far smaller than I'd expected.  That's cotoneaster it's on!
Red-tailed Bumblebee
Ashy Mining Bee
A slightly surprising feature was that there was the lack of any butterflies apart from a small tortoiseshell by the river. Oh and of course I managed to photograph several more flowers I couldn't immediately identify.  I did get one though - mouse-ear hawkweed.

Mouse-ear Hawkweed
We finished up by watching the numerous sand martins that nest at the Eastern end of the Spetchells mound.

The day after I was walking around the Havannah reserve with a friend when we alarmed some lapwings who flew around overhead shrieking for a while before we moved off realising they must have nested in the fields nearby. Very rare that I get snaps of birds in flight with my camera but I managed both the lapwings and the sand martins the previous day, so pleased with that even if the quality isn't much.

Sand Martins
Lapwing
I also saw a small tortoiseshell on a brief visit back to Dumfries as well as a pair of goosander and many house martins and on Tuesday the first red admiral of the year as I rode back from the Derwent Reservoir.

Lots of people were out fishing at the reservoir.  It got me thinking that I should give fishing a try again...

1 comment:

  1. There is some doubt over the supposed ashy mining bee. I consulted an expert on the subject, who is of the opinion that it is a male mining bee that has been bleached by the sun. However she added that male mining bees are difficult to identify and that the main clue is often found by identifying any nearby females. In this case there weren't any. It was sunbathing alone.

    ReplyDelete