Monday 10 August 2020

Monday 10th August

I went fishing at Dissington again last Wednesday.  Technical problems ensured a poor start when the pole bung came loose on catching an early perch, necessitating a return to waggler tactics.  Further delays resulted through tackle tangles and when it rained and I discovered I couldn't get the brolley up.

In the end it turned out ok.  Using fine tackle. I got two roach and another perch on maggot before things went quiet.  I switched to worm and got a strong run only for the hook to fail.  I suspected a tench but the next cast resulted in a small but hard-fighting crucian carp of perhaps 5oz.  After another perch bites on worm went back.  So I gambled, scaled up to a larger hook with double sweetcorn and caught technically a better fish - a roach of going on a pound.  However the wee crucian was a first for me, so also worthy of note.

Wee Crucian
Decent Roach
It's interesting that changing baits seemed to produce results.  There was a guy who fished at Brooms who reckoned it was an idea to change bait every time he caught a fish, something I've never considered seriously but crossed my mind on the day.  I'm also sure I got a few shot bites even though there was no more than crushed hemp in the groundbait.

The new buddleia bush I put in the back lawn finally produced some noteworthy results in the sun last Thursday.  I counted a total of around 30 small whites, one large white, one comma. four peacocks, three red admirals and three small tortoiseshells.

However the first visitor of the day proved to be the most interesting.  I had to check with an expert (Caroline of Northumberland Natural History Society) to confirm it was a buff-tailed bumblebee.  What I didn't spot was that it is a queen.

Small White
Large White
Comma
Peacock
Red Admiral
Queen Buff-tailed Bumblebee
Since then there has been a single appearance of a green-veined white and, as last year, two flypasts by holly blues.

No comments:

Post a Comment