Tuesday 20 April 2021

Tuesday 20th April

Activity has understandably perked up as the night frosts gradually disappear.

I celebrated the opening of non-essential retail on the (glorious?) 12th by cycling to the Metrocentre and saw two goosander on the Derwent and a clear view of a chiffchaff near the Tyne but was too cold to linger.  On the same chilly day it was quite a surprise to see a green-veined white settle briefly in the garden as well as a single peacock.  Subsequent days lead to a couple of flypasts from orange tips.

On the Wednesday a walk to Chopwell Woods at least produced a good deal more birdsong and we returned to increased bee activity in the garden, which I investigated further.  Apart from the expected tree bumble bee queen, there were what I thought were honeybees and something a good deal smaller that proved to be a female buffish mining bee.  Fortuitously I had recently learned about beeflies and there have been a few visit from the dark-edged beefly.  More recently, a buff-tailed bumblebee queens have turned up too.  There's been a couple of ladybirds too but nothing spectacular.

Honey Bee (worker)
Female Buffish Mining Bee
Buff-tailed Bumblebee Queen
Dark-edged Beefly
Tree Bumblebee Queen

On Thursday three of us did a bike ride from Weetslade to Matfen and back and there was a good number of small tortoiseshells on the wing, notably on the rough track just West of Darras Hall.

Up to this point I hadn't managed to snap any of the butterflies and it was a bit of a surprise when a speckled wood in the garden was my first subject of the year on Friday.  I'd have thought it was a bit early.  None of the other butterflies observed settled for any length of time.

Speckled Wood

Following a resolution to head South more often, I took a walk in Edmondsley Wood on Monday.  It was a very pleasant stroll long an enlarged burn that you repeatedly had to cross by stepping on rocks.  I disturbed the same heron repeatedly as I moved along but couldn't see any sign of fish in the very clear water.

More buff-tailed bumblebee queens were looking for places to nest, and the odd white butterfly began to appear.  When I settled to have something to eat, they also started to settle and I could see that they were green-veined whites.  I would estimate well over a dozen overall, plus a single peacock.

Green-veined White

There was a bit of birdlife high up in the trees and I thought I might have heard willow warblers calling.  On the way back a couple of courting goldfinches largely ignored me.

Incidentally thanks are due to Charlotte Rankin of the Natural History Society of Northumberland  for help with a couple of the bee identifications.

No comments:

Post a Comment