Thursday 8 February 2024

A Bag of Mixed Surprises

On the whole you could say not much has happened over the past couple of weeks but just occasionally something did happen that I wasn't expecting.

Last Sunday, I returned to the QEII as a female smew had been reported for two days in succession.  I couldn't find it over a two hour session but did spot a juvenile red-throated diver at considerable distance, and there have been no reports of them for a while.

Juvenile Red-throated Diver

Numerous gulls and tufted ducks turned up and I wasn't surprised to spot a couple of great crested grebes near the bank. But another distance shot of a mystery item hanging around with the mallards had me scratching my bird brain for answers.
Great Crested Grebes
Mystery Item

Hungry Mute Swan 
It was probably some sort of hybrid.

Similarly I didn't see the apparently injured whooper swan, which hopefully wasn't accepting bread offerings from the irresponsible tourists at the motel complex. 
But while I was checking a reed bed for the smew, this mute swan decided to get up close and personal. It was clearly begging for food and I could easily have reached out and stroked it.

Thinking of another mute swan I had seen earlier that was sitting motionless by the path and looked in poor condition, I decided it was best not to lay hands on the King's property and moved on.

In any case the last time I got anywhere near as close to a swan while fishing as a kid, it was hissing at me and threatening violence.

The trend to slightly unexpected but not monumental sightings in the garden has also continued.

Last time I mentioned the occasional visits by nuthatch, woodpecker and blackcap and the set was complete when a marsh tit visited the nuts last week, albeit briefly.

Nice surprises also were the appearance of a song thrush, which doesn't happen often and the fact that a pair of bullfinches, which usually lurk shyly around the back fence picked up enough courage to come and visit the peanut feeder.
Song Thrush
Bullfinch Pair

In fact Mrs Bullfinch has visited again today.

No comments:

Post a Comment