Monday 13 June 2022

Bikes, birds and bees

A couple of bike rides have paid off unexpected dividends since I got back from Scotland.

Riding back from Newcastle a week ago on Saturday, I paused briefly at a small meadow near the the Derwenthaugh Industrial Estate and managed to see a couple of small skippers nectaring on tiny mauve flowers.  This was a nice surprise since - as expected - the bird's foot trefoil was only just starting to show.

Small Skipper

On Wednesday, Kate and I did a run up the coastal track, mainly for the pleasant scenery and a visit to the ice-cream parlour at Amble.

As usual there were a few stonechats and goldfinch around but I was a bit surprised to see a linnet singing right next to the path.  

While we were scoffing the ice creams outside, we noticed that there was a plant growing from between the stones in the yard.  It reminded me of the scarlet pimpernel I used to see in my grandmother's garden in Hampshire - and so it proved.

Scarlet Pimpernel

Its appearance in the North East is classed as unlikely though I guess the limestone tracts in Co. Durham might be a favoured habitat.

On the way back, we found a birdwatcher, who it turned out was observing a whitethroat that was gaily singing from the surrounding trees.


Somewhat surprisingly, the linnet was still in the same area on the way back, just after we had observed some Highland and Galloway cattle, and gamely hung around while I fumbled for the camera.

Linnet

Back in the garden I have finished clearing away the garlic mustard with the expected decline in butterfly sightings.  I've also stopped feeding peanuts for the birds as I got fed up with constant flow of jackdaws snaffling all the food.

However the bees have continued to enjoy the various flowers that are still out.  For a while I was mainly seeing garden bumblebees but now the buff-tailed bumblebee appears to predominate.  Occasionally I have suspected white-tailed bumblebee but have yet to provide the proof.

One bumblebee that I hadn't seen in the garden before was an early bumblebee that turned up on the chive flowers.  And one non-bumblebee that wasn't the expected mason bee was in fact a chocolate mining bee - a species I did once encounter here a few weeks ago.
Early Bumblebee
Chocolate Mining Bee

No comments:

Post a Comment