Wednesday 13 December 2023

Beginning afresh at Newbiggin

One consistent star performer on the stage of my garden bird table is the coal tit.  He/she, since there appears to be no difference, loves to harvest the numerous black sunflower seeds, always exiting backstage into the trees to consume them.

Recently, one bird made at least a dozen successive visits and you can only wonder if it isn't rather energy-sapping to perform in this energetic fashion.  Here's a brief sample:

Coal Tit feeding

Last week I at last achieved an objective when I visited Newbiggin and managed to catch up with some twites towards Beacon Point.

Twite

In fact there was a massive flock of about 50 to 100 birds visiting the seaside as they often do at this time of year.  Apparently there were a few shore larks around too but a jackdaw came down and flushed them shortly before I arrived.  There have been records of snow buntings at Newbiggin, but I think that was a little further down the coast.

Also in evidence on the day were a couple of meadow pipis and, as so often on the coast in Northumberland, stonechats:
Meadow Pipit
Stonechat

Down on the beach, there were a large number of birds dozing by the rock pools near the shoreline.  I took them to be golden plover.  However I was a bit stiff and and didn't fancy going down from the path and took photos at considerable distance.  On comparing them with images in my bird book I thought they looked more like dunlin or knot.  But it seems that golden plover they are.

Golden Plover

Facebook does have some uses!


No comments:

Post a Comment