Thursday 4 January 2024

Larks Not On Shore

Not too much to report from the garden.  I blame fairly or otherwise the continuing construction of a new housing estate in the middle of the village.  However I did manage to get a brief video of the long-tailed tits mobbing the suet dumplings that I've been trying to capture for some while:

Long-tailed tits

Not a bad roll call though I have had as many as seven or eight on previous occasions.  Unfortunately I couldn't get the same suet dumplings on my last trip to the supermarket, and the attempted replacements has been viewed with puzzlement by tits and corbids alike.

In fact this blue tit preferred instead to rob a few seeds from the mahonia bush.

Blue Tit

After some humming and hawing I decided after a typically abortive trip to Chopwell Woods to visit Beacon Point at Newbiggin again, where conditions yesterday were somewhat misty and rather rough.

Rough conditions

Thanks to another birder, I did this time managed to catch up with a pair of shore larks.  These however were found several hundred yards away feeding next to one of the greens on the golf course and nowhere near the shore where they were supposed to be.

Shore larks seem to be fairly confident birds and at times I had the feeling that, even at 250 metres range, this one was giving me the eye.

Shore Lark

There were again a good number of twite on the path next to the golf course, though once again I didn't make a great job of getting them in focus.

Twite

I think i might need to find out more about focal lengths.

The flock was perhaps slightly smaller than last time but feeding in exactly the same place on the path, where I gather people have been putting bird seed down.  I do hope this isn't to be regarded as cheating...

I didn't manage to catch up with the snow buntings that have visited occasionally but another bonus sighting, this time as considerable distance, was a couple of ringed plover down on the rocks.

Ringed Plover

Immediately to the left of them was this rather scruffy item, which puzzled me a good deal.

Scruffy Item

It spent most of its time trying to preen itself.  On reflection I suppose it's perhaps a juvenile oyster catcher without as yet the red beak.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently my surmised juvenile oystercatcher is in fact a turnstone in winter plumage. A mystery i wouldn't have solved alone.

    ReplyDelete