Saturday 15 January 2022

Surprise Visits

Having concluded that a lack of suet nuggets would lead to a lack of long-tailed tits, it was interesting to be proved wrong when they started turning up on the peanut feeders in similar numbers.  It left me wondering whether I should stop feeding the nuggets as you get a better view of them on the nuts.

Long-tailed tits

Curlew

I got out a couple of times.  On Tuesday I did a bike ride along the Tyne.  By the time I got there I was pretty cold and there were a few large chunks of ice floating downstream.  When the forecast sun finally got out on the way back, I saw three male bullfinches in a tree just before Newburn Bridge.  They were less shy than normal, probably focussed on the presence of a single female.  A bit further past Newburn where the trail leaves the river, there were a couple of thrushes flapping their tails at each other.  It looked like some birds are at least thinking about finding a mate.

On Thursday,  we did a walk from Seaton Sluice to St Mary's Island in a stiff and chilly breeze.  Apart from a few curlew in a cemetery, there wasn't much to see but it turned out most birds were hiding out on the rocks north of the car park, presumably out of the worst of the wind.

There were a good few oystercatchers, a few lapwing and several turnstone.  We reckoned there was also a large flock of golden plover nearer the lighthouse, but it was hard to be certain at distance.  On the island itself, a good few seals were lolling about as they are pretty much commonplace there nowadays.
Oystercatcher
Turnstone - with starling


Stoats
I have been bemoaning the lack of less common species in the garden this winter.  But this morning a couple of stoats turned up and started a major fight on the path by the lawns.  I though I'd captured the whole encounter, which lasted several minutes, on video but must have pressed the wrong button!  Presumably it was a fight between two males rather than a mating event.  

As stoats attack rats, I am prepared to extend them a cautious welcome.



No comments:

Post a Comment