Saturday 14 March 2015

Saturday 14th March

In an attempt to finally see a goshawk, joined the goshawk walk offered at Kielder Forest and led by ornithologist Martin Davidson.

Unfortunately, it wasn't a very good day - generally cold and not much breeze to encourage birds of prey to go on the hunt.  Eventually we managed a few circling buzzards, a kestrel and a couple of ravens.Technically we did actually see a male goshawk too but it was at a range of about a mile and the bird soon disappeared into the clouds.  I managed to spot it as a dark silhouette in the binoculars for about three seconds and had absolutely no idea what it was beyond the evidence of others.  It certainly didn't fit the images one has of birds displaying above a nest or flying adroitly through the trees.

At least there was plenty to learn about goshawks.  It seems there are better chances of seeing them if there is a breeze and that they are seldom seen in the afternoon and hardly at all after the end of March.  Displays are actually quite rare and only result if other birds threaten the nesting territory. Apparently the best plan is to look for buzzards rising above the horizon and look for birds that are stockier, lighter in colour and have longer tails.

Other birds seen were crossbills, siskins, tits, a jay and mixed flock of starling, redwing and fieldfare that was seriously disturbed by the appearance of two army helicopters - though apparently birds of prey take no notice of military operations.  Sightings were virtually all at distance and left me feeling a little disappointed as I had seen all but the redwing at closer range on my recent tours around Dumfries and Galloway.  The main learning in this respect was that, in spite of upgrading my binoculars a couple of years back, others have far better equipment and can identify birds I can only view in outline.

I don't think I'm keen enough to upgrade my gear still further but it is clear that I have about 15 days if I decide to improve on that fleeting goshawk sighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment